Boterkoek – Dutch Butter Cake
Boter-koek (Dutch Butter Cake)
This is a traditional Dutch treat great when you relax with a cup of freshly made Coffee – the Butter Cake is sliced into approximately 12 slices and served cold with a little cream on the side.
200 gr Butter
200 gr Castor Sugar
300 gr Plain Flour
1 egg (Separate the Yolk from the White)
1 pinch of salt
- Pre heat the oven to 170°C (fan forced) 190°C (conventional)
- Melt the butter (in a small bowl in the microwave)
- Mix sugar & egg white & vanilla together
- Add sifted flour
- Add the melted butter to the mixture until fully incorporated
- Press mix into a (use baking paper for best results) lined pie dish
- Beat the leftover egg yolk and glaze the top of the cake
- Bake in oven for 20-25 mins. Or until light golden brown.
- Cool then take it out of the pie dish.
Tips for a better Cake:
- Don’t leave it in the oven too long, as it will dry out and not be nice.
- When you take it out of the oven it should be golden brown, and not set hard.